Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
***spoiler***

really deserved the gold. Well done.

But I think Johnny Weir was robbed. Sixth? When so many of those other dudes were tripping and stumbling all over the place? I don't get it. Weir was GREAT last night, even Scott Hamilton was impressed, and I don't think he's the biggest Weir fan.

I don't like Plushenko at all. It's like Dick Button said, his skating just is not beautiful to watch. He landed the jumps, but so awkwardly, and his program was completely mediocre otherwise. Boo.

I also disliked the complete lack of warmth between the three medalists at the podium. They never even acknowledged each other. Is that normal? Aren't they supposed to be sportsmanlike? Plushenko looked sullen, as usual. That Olympic moment was kind of sour to watch.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I also disliked the complete lack of warmth between the three medalists at the podium.

Hugging in those costumes would not help their image.
But I think Johnny Weir was robbed. Sixth?

Johnny Weir is paying for being Johnny Weir. I hope one day the ISU gets their heads out of their a$$e$ and rewards for talent and skill, and not because they are trying to present an image of what they think a male figure skater is.

Charlie
I can't say if he was robbed or not since I have no idea how they are scored and judged.

While his program and performance was both artistic and near perfectly executed, it really didn't appear as hard as some of the others.

Truthfully my eyes were well glazed over by the time he skated but there was big difference between the difficulty of his routine and the gold medal routine.

bigpix
No. of Recommendations: 3
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have been wondering about this.
I liked this summary:

The leader after the short program, Evgeni Plushenko, was up last and started out by nailing a quad toe/triple toe combination, but he nearly fell on his subsequent triple axle. In fact, he struggled with the landing on most of his jumps. That said, I thought his artistry was much more apparent than it was in the short, and his footwork looked much better to me. But I wasn't a huge fan of the program itself. The last minute of it contained absolutely no jumps. There were parts where he was trying to be "sexy," but to me it came off as very creepy, very "I'm here to eat your children." The commentators argued strongly that his program was nowhere near as complicated as Evan's, and that his jumps were also not close to what he's capable of achieving. And apparently the judges agreed: Evan won the gold by more than a point.

Since then there has been much wailing and gnashing of teeth, exclaiming that Plushenko got robbed. And no, he did not get "robbed." I think what it comes down to is what you think good ice skating should be. Should good ice skating be programs so stuffed with tricks that the competitors can barely land them? Or should skating be thoughtfully conceived, varied programs that show off a skater to his best ability? In other words, do you want programs filled with skaters struggling to land jumps, or, more realistically, falling on their asses? Or do you want programs that show people at the height of their craft skating flawlessly?

I'll tell you what I want: I want to watch the Olympics and see people skating beautifully. I don't want to watch the Olympics and seeing skater after skater biting it on jumps they can't realistically execute. This is supposed to be the best of the sport of figure skating, and yet the majority of the men in last night's competition fell. This is the best of the world? Really? I cannot remember an Olympics with more falls than this one. I'm all for impressive tricks - but only if the skaters can execute them. Plushenko DID land all of his jumps, including his quad, but he struggled with almost every one of them. I don't want to see struggling. I want to see mastery, I want to see perfection. That's what Evan served up, and I think that should be rewarded.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I don't like Plushenko at all. It's like Dick Button said, his skating just is not beautiful to watch. He landed the jumps, but so awkwardly, and his program was completely mediocre otherwise. Boo.

I agree with Dick Button (who wouldn't) about his flailing arms. And this long program was... meh... for me. The "he was robbed" talk has got to be posturing. Because that performance? Yes, he did a quad. But his landings were awkward on a bunch of jumps. I can see him losing 2 to 3 points per landing on those. BUT. I do think Plushenko is capable of better artistry than he displayed this year. His arm flailing did not bug nearly as much in his Godfather routine last Olympics. It was still there, but he performed with a spark and intensity that was just missing this time around. It seems like he felt entitled to the win here. And he wasn't. You have to *earn* it. Each time.

Weir's artistry should have been rewarded a bit more. But I also see the point. He went into most his jumps straight. Other skaters rack up points by doing more difficult entrances. Is that fair? Maybe, maybe not. But it is the scoring system we have now and everyone knows how it works. (Well, everyone in skating anyway.) I like Weir as a skater. And his recent interviews have been fine. He went through a period a few years ago that was just petty and mean-spirited and childish, but the last few years he has still been himself yet not annoying. He's been downright likable lately. I was super impressed with him trying to calm the crowd's booing last night.

The one thing I did not like about Evan's routine was the costume. Snakes? For what possible reason? I would also like to point out that Evan *can* do a quad. He has done a quad. But he's not as consistent with it and I am thrilled that consistency and artistry won over tricks.
Ok, a whole lot of us are wondering, so I will be the brave soul and ask the question that makes me look stupid.

What is a quad?
You jump up in the air, spin around 4 times, and then land. Without breaking anything. (Quadruple jump, the quad referring to spins in the air, not flips or anything.)
The "he was robbed" talk has got to be posturing.

Good Lord, i hope so.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=430590....

And people say Americans are poor sports!

Dear Yevgeny,

We get it: You did a quad. Goody for you. Next time, land one cleanly in a beautifully artistic program (hint: more than flailing arms) and we'll get you that gold.

Love,
The non-Russian world
We get it: You did a quad. Goody for you. Next time, land one cleanly in a beautifully artistic program (hint: more than flailing arms) and we'll get you that gold.

Hehehe.

I hear people are calling him Malfoy. Had to share that with you. :)
Plushenko is a whiner.
Plushenko is a whiner.

Wiener!

bigpix
That, too :)
Plushenko is a whiner.

He's not doing much to erase that girlie-man image from my mind. Get over it, dude, it's not like you lost the Superbowl or the World Series. It's figure skating.
it's not like you lost the Superbowl or the World Series. It's figure skating.

Not really the point.
Not really the point.

I KNOW!!!! Sheesh.

Hey, this has nothing to do with anything but: does anyone else get the feeling Chris Collinsworth is baked at all times?
And even sleep-deprived Evan manages to be gracious throughout it all. Which is why I love him.

Just saw an interview on TV. Apparently among the other things he said, Plushenko stated that Evan was dancing not figure skating (or some such, it wasn't a direct quote). And Evan, of course, replied that he knows Plushenko, has been on tour with him, and he's a great guy and is probably just disappointed and venting. So the interviewer poked some more. Evan changed the topic. And this? After hearing these quotes all day long, I'm sure. And not sleeping. At all.

And Plushenko? I get that you are shocked, shocked! to discover that figure skating requires and is judged on artistic merit in addition to technical merit. However, the rules and the criteria by which it is judged? Public knowledge. Posted on the web even. Here, let me help you out -- http://www.sportcentric.com/vsite/vnavsite/page/directory/0,...

Also, your free program was not a wholly "clean" skate as has been discussed. Your landings were iffy on several jumps.

And I reiterate - Evan HAS a quad. He just didn't do it yesterday. (In response to Plushenko's saying to "Russian media afterward that Lysacek could not be considered 'a true men's champion without a quad.'")

And also? Shut. Up. You are making yourself look ridiculous. I *liked* you until this latest temper tantrum. Do you know who else said nice things about you yesterday and might be getting annoyed with this public whining tour on which you have embarked? Scott Hamilton. The man who represents your best chance at making a living at skating after this. And someone for whom you have worked in the past. And from everything I have heard the Stars on Ice crew places a premium on the skaters getting along.
Evan Lysacek is a complete gentleman at all times. Even when he's whizzed off at somebody he prefers to take the high road. Guys like Plushenko could stand to learn a thing or 2 about that.
I hear people are calling him Malfoy.

OMG. Even without the tantrums, that is a brilliant moniker.

Also: A Harry Potter-Olympics cross-reference? Swoon.
I forgot to add:

Also, Mr. "Under the old 6.0 system anyone who did a quad would win" - might I remind you that perhaps the largest precipitating factor in the change to the scoring system was the scandal in 2002? And if I remember correctly (and I do), it wasn't a *US* crime boss who was accused of masterminding a plot to pressure the French judge to score a certain country's pairs skaters highest regardless of how anyone else skated. Wait, let me think... oh, right. *Russian* mafia dude. And it was the Russian couple that (possibly) benefitted. Gah. Seeing as how it is now EIGHT YEARS later maybe you could consider competing under the scoring system we have now. Because of YOUR countrymen.

(Okay. I'm done now. Probably. Unless I see another interview.)
Weir's artistry should have been rewarded a bit more. But I also see the point. He went into most his jumps straight.

I didn't think he went into anything straight. :-)

Johnny is incredibly talented and I truly enjoyed the imagery of his performance. But he is not as physically strong as either Lysacek or the "Platinum Medalist" from Russia, and I think that works against him. And maybe the pink in his costume during the short program for the old fogies behind the judges table.

Fuskie
Who admittedly does not watch figure skating outside of the Olympics...