No. of Recommendations: 4
'm sorry to hear about the way you were "motivated" to get moving on this, but it sounds like you're using your lemons to make lemonade. Good luck in your new endeavor. What are you going to be doing?

My partner says that getting fired probably saved my life. The stress was starting to affect my health. I really hated that job. But it didn't make sense to leave the bonus and profit sharing, it was only nine months away from vesting! Now it's been taken out of my hands.

I think everyone at my old job is amazed at how calmly I'm taking this. But it's really freed me to do what I want with my life. Scary at the prospect seems!

I will be running two lines of business. First, and easiest to start-up, is daily money management. See this website for a definition of what that is.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/apact/apact02.htm

There is a large population of well-off elderly in my neighborhood. I'm in touch with a social worker/eldercare manager who has clients who need this service & she's very interested in being able to refer to me. She's sure that her clients will love me. I'll need some business insurance and some more contacts for referals. I'm planning on contacting estate planning lawyers and assisted living communities, etc. once I get some literature together, so I look like a serious and going concern.

The other line of business, that I hope to eventually have as my core business, is financial planning. I have joined this network and will follow their model:

http://www.garrettplanningnetwork.com/index.asp?tohome=yes

This will require that I pass a 'series' exam and that I register with the state, among other things. So it will take longer to get off the ground. Although I already have one client that I got just by telling a neighbor that I was planning on doing this (permissible without registration if I'm not actively soliciting for business, limit 5 clients.)

Womanontheverge
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.