Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Mac,

he chooses Boise State, then why should a kid with the same skills get the opportunity to go to a BCS game simply because he chose Miami? The Miami kid never played but gets a ring? That, I guess, is how the proverbial "cookie" crumbles.

I believe the key is the word Chooses.

No doubt the stronger teams on the outside looking in are stronger and better than the Temples and Dukes of today's football world, but there's nothing in the rules(of life even) that says everything has to be even.

It is easy to have your carefree position as a fan of a school looking out from the inside. For those schools on the outside looking in, it is a completely different perspective.

I'm sure I would have that exact feeling if I were in the other position, but there's nothing written that says another has the same possibilities that someone else has.

So, in essence it was a coup. It was the big guys keeping the little guys down in order to better themselves. A - "It is my ball, and if you don't play by my rules, then you just can't play" - sort of attitude. I know this is "the American Way", but should that mantra extend into amateur sports? It can also be referred to as a oligopoly. I know there is a hump running down the center of each field, but this truly does represent an unbalanced playing field.

Call it a "coup", or whatever; no doubt the major conferences had the ability to put the BCS together that the second rank schools/conferences didn't possess.

However(again), what ability did these same schools have to be chosen for a major bowl game prior to the BCS?

And does anyone know if any of the lower ranked schools have played in a major bowl in, say, the past 10-15 years?

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.