Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
https://stockspinoffinvesting.com/msg-spin-off-what-is-the-c...

If you're looking for something unlikely to crash, MSG might be a candidate.

I'm a little bit concerned that his reasoning for how/why the Sports Team spinoff will get valued higher might be flawed. If anything I'd say the spinoff is more likely a ploy for the Dolans to try to grab back the pro teams from the public markets. They can sell the business(es) and buy the teams...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
It may be an opportunity for them to buy the teams back, but they've been very good about parting out the company for years and realizing the value of each part. This used to be part of Cablevision, then they split it out to MSG, then split again to MSG and MSGN, and now this split. So it seems like they're trying to realize the value of all these pieces, so while they may want to buy just the teams, they seem to be making it more expensive for themselves to do so.

Jim
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, my thinking was that they keep trying to get the stock to trade at more of a discount because of their overwhelming control, and when it doesn't work as much as they'd like, they spinoff the pieces they don't want as much. Eventually the teams are all alone and no one else can buy the teams in the open market from them, unless there is an ever-increasing price that exceeds their desire to own? So, they can sell the MSGN and MSG shares to buyback shares of the teams?

I don't know, though. They might not even be doing that. Maybe they don't even care that much. They're pretty bad at owning and running the Knicks. Probably better at something else like Cablevision.