Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
MadsJo,

Different people have different approaches to investing. Some of my favorite companies are ones I think of as set and forget. Those are companies you believe will do well and be around for at least the next ten to twenty years. A person can invest small amounts of money regularly over time, through ups and downs and not have to pay much attention to the company.

I think companies like Starbucks, Apple, Disney, Nike, Amazon, all fit in that category. If you invest in that manner, you certainly don't have to watch the market constantly.

One of my favorite sayings from TMF is "Don't just do something, sit there." Often in investing doing nothing but let your investment ride is the best approach.

Several years ago a large broker researched which of their investors had the best returns. It turned out to be the group who had forgotten about their investments and just let them sit in the account and grow!

Sorry I don't know much about Chevron.

David
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.