Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
So, for most of last year I placed a lot of focus on Z2/MAF training. I'd taken out a subscription to the Peter Attia podcasts and got pretty intrigued by the research into metabolic dysfunction, insulin resistance and Z2 training's impact on mitochondrial health and its influence this. One particular researcher's podcast quite captured my imagination in this regard and is featured for the second time in the most recent..

https://peterattiamd.com/inigosanmillan2/

I notice quite a lot of buzz about this Z2/MAF training on the internet as if it's something new (it's not) and I have to say that, over the course of the year my Z2 treadmill speed/incline was initially that of a brisk walk.....a meaningful podcast-listening walking speed. As the training stimulus did its thing, I got progressively faster at this modest Z2 intensity (I shoot for HR range of 100-120bpm)

Here's the interesting thing. Back when I started I reached this with a treadmill speed of around 3.6 mph and 3% incline. Starting my road to recovery, I confidently expected the layoff to have been a setback. The foot.....specifically the ligaments and tendons as mentioned in a previous thread....is the limiter and, after my tentative effort in the road to recovery series, I'm still holding back at 3.6/3 mph. Would you believe that this does not even reach Z2 heart rate! So, in spite of time off (when endurance always takes a big hit) my my aerobic function is better than this time last year.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.