Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I have just finished my Federal and California 2012 tax forms using TurboTax. Federal has been e-filed and I intend to mail my California forms. The print out that TT gave me did not include a copy of the Fedederal return to file with California return nor do the instructions indicate that it needs to be attached. Is that no longer a requirement for California?
It has been a number of years since I have snail mailed a return.
As an aside I see that the California return now as some strange looking bar codes as part of the return which is perhaps providing some information to the state.

TIA, Bob
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
If your 1040 only has schedules A and B, you don't need to attach the federal return to the CA return.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thank you Peter. After looking closer I see that TT printed out a notice that indicated no Fed return was required. When in doubt read the instructions.

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 1
When in doubt read the instructions.

I learn many amazing things when I read instructions. ;-)

Often, it's what to do with these left over parts. But this time it was when to attach a copy of the Fed return.

I'm almost afraid to admit that I wasn't sure of the requirements myself. I e-file virtually all of my clients' returns. And the couple that I don't e-file, I blindly trust the software on whether to attach or not.

So I read the CA instructions. Sure enough, the answer was there! Who'd have thought to look there? :)

--Peter