Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Main carb is likely to be breading on the chicken. Probably not a lot.

Actually it's significant, unless it's very lightly breaded (dipped once in a light coating of flour, not a heavy coating of batter, and definitely not "extra crispy"!) AND all you eat is one small piece.

Cabbage is low carb. Sugar is easy to replace with sucralose (or others).

Doesn't taste the same, but not all that noticeable in a flavorful cole slaw unless you use a lot. I've learned to enjoy cole slaw with no sweetener (so I rarely buy it already made). And I use a little sweet onion instead of a regular onion. Sometimes I use a little fruit juice (like the juice from crushed pineapple canned in its own juice or a wee bit of orange juice, which I don't normally buy), especially for company.

In my house, cane sugar is relegated to the sugar bowl for guests to put in their coffee. We don't sweeten our coffee--except when I make iced coffee and then I use flavored liquid stevia...current fave is English Toffee.

Just as I adjusted to not sweetening my (hot) coffee, I've adjusted to not sweetening other things, or sweetening much less. Asian recipes calling for sugar get artificial sweetener (usually liquid stevia--I keep plain on hand as well). In a flavorful dish, the slightly bitter off-taste is not apparent. I also happen to appreciate bitterness in general--why I like strong coffee unsweetened.

ASIDE
Anyone who's been diagnosed with diabetes or pre-diabetes, or whose blood sugar is rising & getting close, or who has weight to lose, should consider removing sugar from their diet, along with the other refined white carb (white flour), as well as unhealthy fats (eg, commercial fried chicken).

In my case, my fasting blood sugar in my 60s is in the 90s, but once it was 109 (and once in the 80s :-)...that drove me to low carb, as did my excess poundage. T2D is rampant on both sides of my family, even among some skinny, fit seniors.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.