Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have an ap they recommend for keeping track of auto maintenance? I always have a hard time remembering what was done starting 3-4 afterwards. Would be nice to have history & also reminders for upcoming work to be done. Android o/s.

x-post to Android Users

TIA,
492dea
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I use an app called Road Trip to track fuel use, expense and mileage which I have to report on my company car. It can also track maintenance but I don't use it for that since I never have a car more than 6 months and it is company owned. It can also export to xls or csv if needed
I use Car Minder (iOS, don't know if there's an Android version). It tracks mileage and repairs, reminds me about regular service items based on mileage or time (i.e. 3 months or 7500 miles, etc.) and lets me e-mail records.

I think it cost me a couple of bucks, but I like it.

http://jgmapps.com/car-minder/
Mazda has an app that links into their mymazda site and tracks maintenance and does reminders. Check your car manufacturer and see if they have something similar.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Here's my app: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/notebook-pencil-3075009.jpg

I keep the device in my glove box. I use the free-form spreadsheet to create columns for: date, mileage, dollars, gallons, and MPG. I use the separate calculator app: http://www.pmean.com/07/images/PocketCalculator01.jpg (also kept in the glove box) to calculate the MPG each fill up.

For service, I complete the date, mileage, and dollars columns, then just describe the service across the remaining columns, flowing over to additional lines as needed.

Positives:
I particularly like how fast it boots up. As soon as I remove it from the glove box, it's ready to go.

It scrolls through it's history quite quickly, and can skip multiple pages of info if you need to go back several years.

I've never had to change the battery in the maintenance app, although the calculator app does seem to need a battery every two or three years.

Simply turning it over gives you a fresh blank spreadsheet to enter things like business mileage (which is how I use it).

Unused worksheets can also be repurposed to leave nasty notes on cars that are parked badly.

negatives
There is no export function.

The stylus occasionally goes missing, however replacements are inexpensive and readily available. I've even picked up free replacements from various places.

It doesn't have automatic reminders for scheduled maintenance.

--Peter

PS - I'm quite serious here. This is really what I use. (Although I do use the calculator app on my phone instead of a separate calculator.)

PPS - I recommend a mechanical pencil with a clip. Never needs sharpening. The clip keeps it attached to the notebook.
I note the miles on my receipts, later enter the info into a mileage spreadsheet that may have come from here long ago... Mileage, costs, totals... Not always consistent, weather, towing, maybe fouled plug, a rage from 12-26, but the 26 mpg has to be an anomaly, but I never found why, maybe missed a receipt...

The other info I leave to my mechanic and his little windshield sticker..

If there was a wireless sync from my PU to the home network, maybe I'd look for an app, but for now, keeping a pen in the jockey box is good for me...

Like to see a retrofit kit, maybe tie to the EBOD port to add all it's info to a wireless link to a home network. I do have a little wireless plug to sync to an iPhone app that has been interesting, reads,resets errors,but it could be expanded...
Thanks for the rec. I keep a small notebook in the car to track mileage, so that is a must have.
Thanks, I don't mind paying a bit if the ap is good. I'll see if they make an Android version.
I checked online and Honda has an ap that brings content to your car, like maps and music. The have a web based account that you can sign up for, but it didn't seem to offer what I was looking for. :(
Lol!

I use something similar currently, and have for years. Looking to "upgrade". :)
file drawer

They call it a glove-box.
Hi ToddTruby,

There are a lot of results that come up when I search for Road Trip. Most seem to be geared towards planning a trip: sites of interest, pit stops, mileage calculations etc. The one you are using sounds really helpful. Do you know who the publisher is? Thanks.
Wow, what you are envisioning is more than I imagined! I don't mind entering all maint., repairs & fill-ups myself, since that is what I do now on paper. Just want it stored (date & what was done, mileage calcs) & portable.
Oh, I know I don't *need* an app. But I want one!
Road Trip
Darren Stone 2008-2013
support@darrensoft.ca

Hi ToddTruby,

There are a lot of results that come up when I search for Road Trip. Most seem to be geared towards planning a trip: sites of interest, pit stops, mileage calculations etc. The one you are using sounds really helpful. Do you know who the publisher is? Thanks.
The glove box is for gloves, hence the name, and sun glasses. It is too small to hold ten to twenty years of maintenance records.

You must do a lot of maintenance if the records would overflow the glovebox. What do you drive? Fiats?
He drives a mini, as bad as a Fiat, just more expensive.
He drives a mini, as bad as a Fiat, just more expensive.

No wonder he needs an entire file drawer.
JD Powers just ranked the Mini worst in reliability.

I was surprised to see Mercedes Benz ranked 2nd best - above Honda and Toyota even. Lexus was #1.
Ah, thanks. This is an Apple only product. :(
I hate to go all "old school" on this thread but for maintenance records a loose leaf binder with a title page that includes date, mileage, type of service - which can be more than one - and a column for next time/date it is due. The actual invoices get kept in the binder too, behind the title page along with the insurance and title records.
Gas mileage is kept in a smaller notebook in the "notebook box" along with the gloves and insurance card. :)
Oil change reminders are on the the plastic reminder sticker on the windshield and records could be kept in either the log book, the loose leaf or both.
For the most part, the 3000 mile oil change is a thing of the past and we all have to get state inspections annually. If you have an oil change done along with the inspection, you can use the inspection date on the sticker and get oil changes done every 4 months or 6 months from that date.
That said, most cars today, including mine, would benefit from a phone message reminding their owner what is due and when.
Here are some ideas:
https://www.google.com/search?q=car+maintenance+log+book&...

Hope that helps,
Steven
devoish: That said, most cars today, including mine, would benefit from a phone message reminding their owner what is due and when.

Or perhaps an app on that same phone that pops up a bright red dot reminding their owner what is due and when.

Just a suggestion.
Don't most cars have little maintenance due lights that come on just for that purpose??
Hi Steven, well. You are always helpful.

I do keep records currently, much like you describe. I want to have them literally at my fingertips, since I drive older cars (mine & DH's) & there are a lot of maint. & repairs going on. When I'm at the shop, I often get asked "when was the last time you..." or I think to myself, didn't we just do ...? But it may have been the *other* car, and it may have been 6-8 months ago, so I may not have a perfect memory of what actually was. And while I have Trusted Mechanic, he is 25 mi south of here, so now I am developing a relationship with a shop in town, they seem pretty good, but now neither service providers don'has the full picture of what has been done, either. Life is getting complicated!

492dea