Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Now that my little fuel pump adventure is finished, I'm on to other concerns.

One being what maintenance is required for a manual transmission? I read through my owners manual and it didn't say BOO on the topic. I can't imagine that it's maintenance free, but I don't want to do unecessary work either.

When I took my car in for an oil change, they "recommended" the manual transmission service. As usual, I opted to do it myself (or so I tell them) and research the subject.

There is no Haynes or Chilton manual for my model car as they opted not to put one together for the last year of production (2002 Chevy Camaro).

Any thoughts?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
as they opted not to put one together for the last year of production (2002 Chevy Camaro). .................................................

Find the most current Haynes/Chilton for Camaro and go with that. I'm figuring that there wouldn't be too many changes in the final year or two.

Pete

Any thoughts?

If this were my vehicle, I'd change the MT fluid every 2 years or 40,000 miles. On my Jeep, I change it out yearly but it's used pretty hard (towing, off-road, dusty, lots of mud/water ... everything that's tough on a transmission). If you do a lot of hard, high RPM shifting, you might want to do the same. It's cheap insurance against heat-related failure.

Don't forget to do the differential at the same time.
what maintenance is required for a manual transmission?

In my car, I change the mtf annually, or sooner if I think the shifter action is feeling less than perfect (it's an s2000 with VERY short throws). Beyond that, I flush the hydraulic clutch fluid every 2 years or so. I have no idea if the Camaro is hydraulic or a cable.

Beyond that, there's not a whole lot of standard maintenance that can be done.
Find the most current Haynes/Chilton for Camaro and go with that. I'm figuring that there wouldn't be too many changes in the final year or two.

I'll try that. I know they changed a few things from the 2000 model, but probably not enough to be a major issue. Thanks.
As I'm now just passed 4 years and 40k miles, I'll make an appointment to get the fluids changed. Come to think of it, the shifting hasn't been as smooth as I remember when I bought it. Not a major difference, but a differenc nonetheless.

I'll plan on having it changed every two years hereafter.

Thanks much!
No. of Recommendations: 1
There is no Haynes or Chilton manual for my model car as they opted not to put one together for the last year of production (2002 Chevy Camaro).................................................................

KEEP LOOKING ! I saw a Haynes for your car while at Crappy Tire :)

Pete

Coo1! I just checked the Hayned website and they now list a book for the 2002. I know it wasn't there a few months ago. I guess they updated it.

Thanks!

amg2