Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've read enough. It's becoming clear. I have an IRA account with 3 or 4 doggy funds covering about $20,000.
It's with a full-service firm and I think I'd like to transfer it somewhere else and do the right thing with Foolish 4 or so. Anyone have experience doing such and getting off with least costs. I think I can trade inside the thing, but I sure as hell don't want to pay the full commissions. They've already played on my money enough.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings, rgaysa, and welcome. You wrote:

I've read enough. It's becoming clear. I have an IRA account with 3 or 4 doggy funds covering about $20,000.
It's with a full-service firm and I think I'd like to transfer it somewhere else and do the right thing with Foolish 4 or so. Anyone have experience doing such and getting off with least costs. I think I can trade inside the thing, but I sure as hell don't want to pay the full commissions. They've already played on my money enough.

If you wish to move out of funds with your full-service broker into a self-directed IRA with a discount broker of your choice, that's easy. Just contact the new brokerage and tell that agency what you wish to do. They'll send you the necessary forms to set up the new self-directed IRA as well as those to get the money transferred from the old IRA to that account. Complete the forms, return them to the new broker, and sit back. In 30 days or so the cash will be transferred and you will be able to trade at will.

If you want tips on how to find a discount broker to ensure you can do what you want at a reasonable cost, go to http://www.fool.com/media/DiscountBrokerageCenter/DiscountBrokerageCenter.htm for a wealth of information.

Regards…Pixy
Print the post Back To Top