Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I don't know that much about him, but this result was entirely predictable. Unless he has another angle, I have to conclude "fool". His desire for bipartisanship, while laudable, was a fool's errand. And I think most people know it.

McConnell just dashed those foolish notions onto the hot pavement.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/18/politics/mitch-mcconnell-...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
I don't know that much about him, but this result was entirely predictable. Unless he has another angle, I have to conclude "fool".

The other angle is, that's what his donors want. He's not a fool, he's doing exactly what he ran to do.

I don't know why anyone has ever fallen for his "bipartisan" bs, his only purpose is to give Republicans even more leverage.
No. of Recommendations: 3
Poor Senator Manchin. A conservative Democrat in a Republican state. I think his days as a senator are numbered. The death of King Coal has left many in West Virginia jobless, and too ignorant to get anything else.

CNC
No. of Recommendations: 10
I am not ready to dump on Manchin yet. He has gotten the issue of voting rights just where it might need to be - Dems DEMONSTRABLY went all out to get a deal, and then went even further in supporting Manchin’s weak gruel giving up a lot that really matters, and the GOPsters still dumped all over it insisting on a new version of “states rights”!!!!

Now, will he push hard hard hard into a form of “Old Fashioned” (which he has said he supports), make the racist plutocratic toads talk and talk on the subject of why voter suppression is untouchable, under rules of filibuster that require 41 to keep yapping on the subject? IF he does that and takes a strong public role decrying Republican abandonment of democracy that all but Racist Southern Democrats of yore shied away from…then we might all be thankful.

But, not holding my breath.

David fb
No. of Recommendations: 15
Now, will he push hard hard hard into a form of “Old Fashioned” (which he has said he supports), make the racist plutocratic toads talk and talk on the subject of why voter suppression is untouchable, under rules of filibuster that ….

blah, blah blah blah blah.

It does not matter. His “constituents” do not care. Generally speaking, the people of West Virginia are right up there (as in “down there”) with those of Mississippi and Alabama when it comes to this stuff. If the Democrats are for it then Fox News is against it, and if Fox News is against it then you better be too.

Period. End of reasoned discussion and debate. The transition from FDR’s Democratic coalition to the Reactionary Republican is almost complete. There were a few lonely holdouts as people in the Deep South who voted (populist) Democratic since the 1930’s hung around, but they died off and the states flipped. For reasons relating to interbreeding, family dynamics, country cousins and other human frailties West Virginia is bringing up the rear on the transition, and Munchkin is holding off the tide. But any movement towards something rational and the overweening power of talk radio and the radical Right media and he’s toast.

At least you would think he would have the decency to fall on his sword in a good and great cause, rather than get stomped into the earth *anyway* and accomplish nothing along the way.

I hope for too much, apparently.
No. of Recommendations: 2
At least you would think he would have the decency to fall on his sword in a good and great cause, rather than get stomped into the earth *anyway* and accomplish nothing along the way.

Munchkin and Susan Collins have hit upon the same schtick. Doin' the Lucy, you might call it. Seem reasonable while putting the football into position, then pull it away when Linus (Dems) are just about to kick.

We know them by now. Don’t expect anything else.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I agree with the views of David fb on Manchin. I hope he helps the Dems in the final vote.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Manchin did not get to be a dem governor of a very red state by being a fool. I think he is actually very savvy.

In fact, if I had to guess, I would be that his methods are all well calculated.

If Manchin is going to buck the opinion of those in his deeply red state and ever support some of the more left leaning policies, including a possible change in the filibuster, then he has to be able to say to his constituents that he tried to do it the right way first. That, he played by the rules, that he tried by partisanship, even if it is on weak-tea bills. He has to show that the other side simply isn't willing at all - that the problem is the other side, not the dems that are trying to re-write the rules.
No. of Recommendations: 2
We "live in an America where one party can dictate and demand everything and anything it wants, whenever it wants." I don't know where Manchin has been the last 40 years, but this is standard Republican practice.
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know where Manchin has been the last 40 years,

Ahh, West Virginia, where the majority of voters don't feel the same way.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Manchón successfully put GOPster opposition to Voting Rights in a damningly clear bright light:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/06/21/manchin-j...

Manchin’s compromise completely undercuts Republicans’ case for blocking reform.?It does this by including new requirements to safeguard election security, which is — or was — the top priority of Republicans concerned by “questions” the 2020 election supposedly raised.? For instance, Manchin’s proposal includes a nationwide voter ID requirement, with a relatively broad range of documents allowed (such as utility bills). His framework also allows states to conduct purges of their voter rolls “by utilizing information derived from state and federal documents.”? Manchin also conspicuously omitted Democratic initiatives that Republicans claim (without evidence) lead to voter fraud, such as mandatory same-day voter registration, stand-alone drop boxes and no-excuse absentee voting. ?Democrats didn’t love these choices, but key party leaders endorsed Manchin’s framework as a useful compromise all the same.?Republicans, on the other hand, rejected the framework. Immediately, forcefully, unambiguously.?“It needs to be blocked,” remarked Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.), who a week earlier praised Manchin as “saving our country” by encouraging bipartisanship.

The crux question remains whether Manchin will actually take the trick he has successfully finessed, now with the righteous cover gained as he gave the GOPsters everything they claimed to want and they bashed it just the same.

I am not optimistic, but I know what these old southern Dem dogs can be like, and sometimes its good. He is the last of his breed.

David fb