Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
A simple question without a simple answer:

Can employers require a vaccination?

DB2
Print the post Back To Top
Dunno. I know I had to have a passport to get my current job (work in Austin, HQ in Cambridge, UK). Travel to UK did not require any special vaccinations, but travel to India would. So, yeah, kind of they can require a vaccination, if required to fulfill job duties.

COVID in particular? I can see that once travel starts to resume, if I needed a vaccine to get into the UK then I could see myself needing a vaccine. This presumes I'll be back to 2-3 trips per year after "normal" returns.

Domestically, if I was in a job that required me to be around people, I could see a vaccine being a requirement for certain jobs.

Will be interesting to see what people think, and what ends up actually happening.

Yes. To protect all employees from the consequences of those who become (or are) infectious. Remember, the vaccine is not 100% effective, and there is no way to tell those who have an effective result of the vaccine and those who do not.
No. of Recommendations: 0

Saying it's mandatory, and enforcing it, are two different things. I have had plenty of coworkers who have flat refused to do assigned work that was within their job description, and get away with it.

Steve
Why would they? The vaccines are going to be in short supply for the next few months. The lucky few will have access. If you get a vaccine, you are 90% protected.

In a previous job, I worked with human whole blood. The company encouraged everyone to get a Hep B vaccine, and they made it easy to get. The Hep B vaccine was not mandatory, but was strongly encouraged and supported.

Making something mandatory might result in lower participation than just encouraging and making it easy to get the vaccine.
borisnand: Making something mandatory might result in lower participation than just encouraging and making it easy to get the vaccine.

Gee, that wasn't my experience in the military? When I arrived in Germany as an 18 yo infantryman in late 1965 they just lined us up, handed us brand new yellow books and sent us through the gauntlet getting jabbed or shot by the new fangled 'Gun'. At the end of the line they stamped and signed our books. Since we were all pretty turboprop lagged at the time there was little resistance.

Tim <who gets every shot my doctor tells me to, old habits die hard>
No. of Recommendations: 4
A simple question without a simple answer:

DB2

My wife works in health care. In fact she was transferred to one of the hospitals satellite clinics to help with covid testing.

Anyway, she is required to get a flu shot each year. If she doesn't then she has to wear a mask at all times while at work.

I would expect the same rule will apply with the covid vaccine.

gcr