Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Many banks and brokers have received permission from the IRS to use substitute 1099 forms. They contain all of the information included in the official forms. Brokers, in particular, will consolidate all of the various 1099 forms they might need into a single document. If you read their consolidated 1099 carefully, you'll find various sections labeled 1099-DIV, 1099-INT, 1099-B, 1099-MISC and possibly a couple of others.

If you are using a tax preparer, just bring that whole package, including the boilerplate instruction pages. The pages are undoubtedly numbered something like "Page 3 of 8". It's very annoying as a tax pro to get only a few of the known number of pages. You don't know what is missing on the pages which weren't included.

If you are preparing your own return, that consolidated 1099 is all you need. There is no reason to copy the information on to the official versions of the various 1099s. You should not mail these 1099s with your tax return. The IRS does not want them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.