Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Many years ago, as the result of a serious illness, I was unable to focus both my eyes at the same time, and had to wear a patch over one eye or the other for several months in order to avoid double vision.

I recall that driving was very tricky, especially maneuvering in close quarters around parked cars on narrow streets or in parking lots. Dealing with other vehicles that were in motion didn't pose as much of a problem.

I asked my cousin Bob, who's been blind in one eye since he as very young, how he dealt with his lack of depth perception when driving. As far as he could tell, his brain had trained itself to judge proximity by other means, such as change of size and shadows.

He did agree that approaching stationery objects seemed to be somewhat more difficult than judging his relationship to other moving objects.

He said the most common problem he encountered with his lack of depth perception was with automatic doors, which he swore opened slower in the southern part of the country.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.