Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Thanks for the reply! Your second answer give me good indication about the first question.

I would guess that if a tax ID number is required then one probably has to earn rupees and pay Indian taxes in order to trade on the BSE.

For some expats, I guess that might be the catch. For example, my employer pays me in USD to my Stateside accounts. To my knowledge, I will not require an Indian tax ID. But I'm unsure at this point.

In any case, I'll continue to make queries.

Separately, I've noticed very attractive terms at ICICI Bank and others for longer-term deposit "schemes" as they're called. I laugh a little each time I see that for scheme in American usage often connotes a sinister element. I've already inquired about these and look forward to earning 9.50% interest on something analogous to a 2-year CD.

Any thoughts on these bank vehicles?

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.