No. of Recommendations: 0
It has been discussed here whether margin interest includes short interest. I shorted 100 shares of UNTD this morning and my Ameritrade account shows I only have a $602 maintainance requirement. This looks like I can short on margin and they wouldn't be able to distinguish my long margin from my short margin. I've shorted more than the cash in my account before, but there were always enough long equity to cover it. This is just for information and others may know more about it than I do.

Andy
Print the post Back To Top
Here is a good link for the rules on short selling. I believe the current rule is that you need to have 50 percent of the assets in your account.

http://www.investopedia.com/university/shortselling/shortselling1.asp

The warning the Nasdaq issued a few months agospecifcally related to long positions bought on margin.
>>The warning the Nasdaq issued a few months agospecifcally related to long positions bought on margin. <<

Another point reagrding the public margin debt issue. Short selling on margin would not result in the record margin levels we have now for a few reasons.

If folks were short selling on magin -as the rally climbed higher they would have been forced by their brokerage firms to either put up more money or cover their short positions. Since they were on margin in the first place they more than likley wouldn't have had the additioanal funds to put up. In that case they would have been forced to cover their shorts- this in turn would have reduced the total short interest -not increased it.