Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
The most confusing part of tax preparation for me is figuring whether or not I can claim the margin interest that I paid to buy stocks in 1997. My margin interest was about $750. Dividends paid on stocks were about $275. It's very difficult to understand the rules concerning margin interest. They start talking about passive investments and the like. For several years I have forgone the possible claim. Even if I claimed it somehow, I'd probably have to use Form 4952.
Does anybody out there claim margin interest?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.