Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
(I posted these notes on the HG board for Marine Products; thought you might like to read them...)

Marine Products is forging an Earnings Power Staircase, for those of you who read my book "It's Earnings That Count" (McGraw-Hill, 2004).

Each year for the three years ending Dec. 2004, MPX has generated year-over-year gains in defensive and enterprising profits. Defensive profits is free cash flow; enterprising profits is net return on capital. The two are not the same, and strength in both is required for a company to qualify as a blue chip.

The company has generated defensive and enterprising profits back to at least 1999, another impressive feat.

Last, the latest three-year return on greenest dollar (RGD) is 117%. Net operating profit after-tax grew by $13.8 million during 2002-2004 while capital grew by $11.8 million, my spreadsheet shows. RGD is a test of how well management employs the capital (debt, equity, operating leases, LIFO reserves, etc.) at its disposal. The higher this return figure, the better. In their heyday, Microsoft and Paychex both earned RGD'S of 50%-75% a year.

If anyone knows how to copy charts into this discussion board, let me know and I will share the MPX's Earnings Power Chart with eveyone.

To learn more about this dual income statement approach, check out my website www.EarningsPower.com.

Thanks again to TomG for interviewing me for Hidden Gems.

Hewitt

Marine Products (cont.)

These rising return on capital figures are also impressive:

2000 - 12%
2001 - 16%
2002 - 47%
2003 - 58%
2004 - 66%

My posts on this board are not a buy recommendation, as I am just starting my due diligence. But so far, MPX displays the hallmarks of a conservative growth stock.

Hewitt
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.