No. of Recommendations: 1
Mark,

I have been globally investing since 2002 and learned almost everything I know from TMF subs (I have 7 now - SA, HG, RBS, II, GG, MFO, SN) and from my family's (in India) 5 decades of investing in stocks and real estate.

The ETFs that I have been using so far are:
VWO - 800+ firms from a bunch of emerging nations. 8 years of investing into it now. I buy regularly in small quantities and aggressively during market correction in emerging markets. I especially go for a deep dive when emerging markets are out of synch with global markets and are down quite a bit. Based on my cost basis, the dividend on my invested capital exceeds 6% annually.

EIDO - Indonesia - started last year. It is a good one - I think.

EWY - South Korea - since 4 years. Very good ETF.

AFK - Africa - 2 years. So far not much success other than a 2% yield (no failure either) but I think it should be good going ahead as Africa is growing at a healthy clip.

PLND - Poland - since last year. Most speculative of the bunch. PLND is relatively insulated from EU mess and sits on untapped natural resources. I was hoping some detailed coverage from GG to develop a strategy here.

DGS - emerging markets high dividend payers. Introduced by GG last year. I think this would be a great investment.
India - unable to recommend any India centric ETFs as I don't invest in them due to direct access to Indian stocks exchange. GG recs of HDB and RDY are excellent picks. And so is the wildcard Larsen & Toubro (pink sheets).

Europe, Japan and US - too developed for my taste. Individual stocks do much better.

Latin America - GG was most successful here. PVD, BLX, ITRN, MELI (GG sold too early), ARCO, BOBS.OB (wild card - my 4+ bagger now). ILF is a good one by GG collection of stocks is a better deal - I think.

China - no good ETF that I know. GG recommended stocks have mixed success. Other TMF subs recs such as BIDU, SINA and CTRP have done much better for me. Between GG and other TMF subs there is a good collection of individual stocks available for China to not need an ETF.

I have not studied any other country specific ETFs so far but if we can locate ones with low fee and not overweight in a specific sector or govt controlled firms it should be a good deal.

I have been a constant critique of GG trips abroad for a while now. I am unable to recall any GG trip (at least one per year during last 5 years) to result in any sustained market advantage for the subscribers.

Anurag
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.