Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yes...but a few points of clarification:

Company granted options have no value so you cannot sell them. Once the options vest to you, you may elect to exercise them...meaning you purchase the stock for no more than the option price. But first....

....What kind of options are these, as you need to know this to determine the tax treatment. There are 3 possibilities...

Employee Stock Purchase Plan Options that you buy from $$ you contribute to an account. With these, the option price can vary to the lesser of the fair value of the stock on the date of the option grant or the fair value on the date the options are exercised, or the stock price on some date in between. They also come with an employer discount of usually 5 to 15%. If you exercise and sell, the bargain element (the 'spread' between the option price and the fair value on the date of exercise) will be ordinary W2 income, as will the discount. But if you hold the exercised stock at least one year past exercise date AND at least 2 years past the option grant date, the bargain element will be treated as long term capital gains but the discount will forever be ordinary income when the shares are sold....even after you die.

If these are Incentive Stock Options (ISOs), the same tax rules apply EXCEPT the option price is the fair value of the stock on the option grant date, the options are usually vested to you over a few years, there is no discount and you've got to pay for them with your own savings. If you hold the stock, the bargain element will not be treated as ordinary W2 income, but it will be reportable income for alternative tax purposes.

If these are non-qualified (actually, non-statutory) stock options, once exercised, the bargain element is ordinary W2 income, there is no discount and there is no stock holding period for favorable capital gains tax treatment.

With ISOs and non-quals, you must come up with the $$ to purchase the stock at exercise, whether you elect to hold the stock shares or immediately sell them. One way to avoid having to come up with the necessary cash to make the buy is to do a 'cash-less' exercise, wherein the broker will exercise and then sell enough shares to buy the exercised shares, pay transaction fees and to withhold enough for tax. They have software that enables them to do this. In my experience, this is the preferred method for those who have a significant bargain element AND who wish to hold their company stock.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.