Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi all,

I just created the 'Market trends' page. I was trying to figure what was meant by a 'secular bear market' and couldn't find anything on Flossary. After a quick googling, I thought I understood enough to create the basic page here: http://wiki.fool.com/wiki/Market_Trends

Could someone please take a look and let me know if that's acceptable or even accurate? Or if it should be split up into separate pages for the different types of trends?

Thanks,
Paul
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Welcome to the Flossary Beta, Paul. You're off to a great start.

I added article template styles and a few term links to your posting. I hope you don't mind.

Say on the Great Depression. Are you sure the bear market goes all the way to 1944?

As I recall Roosevelt came in in 1933 and undertook his various reconstruction programs which did work and got the recovery started.

But then in '36 he cut back. So there was a mini recession, that they say lasted until war production put everybody to work again.

Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941. The country mobilized in 1942. They installed rationing (and sold war bonds like crazy) to keep inflation from driving up prices from greater availability of cash and shortage of consumer goods to buy. But I would think the market would respond positively sooner than 1944. Of course, the prospects for end of the war after D-day in '44 probably made investors more confident.

So it seems difficult to generalize with a term like bear market for that long--unless you intend a broad overview kind of statement.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome, Paul!

I like the idea of a "Market trends" page with all the related terminology. Eventually, the community will follow your lead and build out each term ("Primary trend", "Correction", etc.)

One line I was confused on (a quick Internet search didn't help me):

For example, if during an overall Bull market, there is a sudden drop in the market, the secondary trend is bullish in nature.

Is it bullish in nature or bearish in nature?

Thanks for Flossing, Paul!

-A
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the welcome! I've been here for a few weeks, just haven't figured out where to contribute until now :)

I don't know actually when the bear market actually ended. I was "winging it", counting out the Flossary hive-mind to know better than me :)

I know my WWII history fairly well, but not the economics side so well, and definitely not the Great Depression. I guess I know which books to be getting from the library next ;)

The Wikipedia article on the Depression, though incredibly lengthy, doesn't put an end date on it. I was assuming that by 1944, with the end of the war in sight, that you could call it over.

The article does mention that the Depression led into the "wartime economy" which began in 1939. I'm not sure if they're marking the end of the Depression as 1939, and then going further to imply that 1939 marks the beginning of an entirely new era separate from the Depression, though.

I'm good with whatever date y'all want to call the end :)

Paul
No. of Recommendations: 1
TMFBomb,

Thanks for pointing that out, clearly a typo, and a sign I should Floss earlier in the evening rather than right before going to bed :)

I think the basic premise is, if the primary trend is Xish is nature, the secondary trend is opposite and therefore 1/Xish. So, if the primary trend is bullish, the secondary trend would be bearish, and vice versa.

Thanks for the catch, it's all fixed.

Paul