Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
markr33,

Averaging down is tricky. Back in '95 I did a trade on Japan. It was late spring, and Congress was talking its usual nonsense about "Asian competitiveness being un-American", or whatever, and it was threatening a trade-war with Japan. But it had to be assumed that kind of talk was just saber rattling. Japan was too important a trading partner (and the US's chief lender), and a trade-war would just beggar both sides. So the investing/trading bet had to be that both sides were bluffing, and the way to make money was to call their bluff by going long.

The Nikkei was plunging, and I started buying. It plunged more, and that scared me. So I reassessed. But the situation still motivated doing the trade, so I added. I added four times as the situation dragged on, not getting resolved. Two days after my last add, at what I considered a judiciously allocation to one bet, on roughly June 23 the Nikei reversed, and I knew I was golden. Because I had done the trades through a mutual fund, I had a mandatory, 90-day holding period. Not problem. I was in the money on the trade and riding the prices up.

Now it's getting to be late July, maybe mid-August, and Barrons runs a big article, "Is It Now Time to Get Back into Japan?" I laughed.

"Hey, guys. Where were you in May and June when the buying should have been done?"

But I also knew I was now more golden than before. I now had institutional money coming into the market I could sell to. That's exactly what I did. As each position hit its 90 days, I unwound it and by early September I was out of everything with double my money. Sweet, sweet trade. The ant got in before the elephants, and he got out before them, too.

With bonds, that kind of a trading is hard to do, not that I don’t keep trying. LOL. But reviewing my score (for how many times averaging down has worked versus how many times it has failed) would be a good project for tomorrow. My suspicion is that its efficacy is a coin-toss, or slightly worse. But we always remember best the times when averaging down worked, which is why never doing it is a good rule of thumb.

Charlie
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.