No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey all,

I don't believe I've posted on this board before, but I've been keeping up here & on the Budgeting board. I just got married a few months ago and have some questions about marriage & credit cards.

Currently our only debt is a mortgage, car loan, & student loan. Student loan is getting paid extra and should be gone in less than 6 months, then I'll hit the car loan.

Right now, I have two credit cards in my name and my DH has three. The only ones that get used regularly are one of mine & one of his, the others are backups. Everyone gets paid in full every month. Both credit reports have been looked at lately and are okay - I looked at mine (Experian & Equifax) for free last spring when I was between jobs.

So, the questions.

1 - The current plan is to cancel my Associates, & two of his, and then get a joint card of some sort so that we have a backup card in case of problems with either of the main cards. I know that part of your credit score is based on the age of the account, so will cancelling my oldest card have any serious effect? I'm not sure, since it's only a year older than the other account. I've had it probably 4 years, and the other one about 3.

2 - Do the CCs issue joint cards anymore, or do they just give you an extra authorized user type card? And does it matter whether it's joint or authorized?

3 - Have I missed anything else? I know that some women have ended up without a credit record of any sort, which is why I want to keep one of the cards that was originally in my name.

Anyway, I know from past experience that you all are a very good source of information. :) This board & the Fool in general have been recommended very highly to some friends.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Christi
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.