No. of Recommendations: 0
Here's hoping this is the approprate place to ask...
Anywho, I've recently gotten married (One week and a couple of days ago, actually), and we're working on getting accounts arranged to be ours, mine, and hers, so to speak.
Well, I've come across a series of interesting questions.
1) I've gathered that the limit for contributing to a Roth IRA is $2K/yr/person (assuming that you're within the appropriate income limits). Does that have to be in separate accounts (one per person)? Or am I being just a little paranoid? Translation: Can you have a joint IRA that you put $4K/yr for both of us?
2) She's about to quit her current job so she can put more into raising her child (and cleaning up after me, but I'm not goint there), so I'll be the source of income, does this change anything? Probably not, but...
3) She's also getting a 401(k) plan that'll need rolling over. From what I've gathered, you can a) put it in a Traditional IRA or b) do a) and then roll it over into a Roth (does the Roth have to be separate or can it be pre-existing?). If it is rolled over into a Roth, I get taxed, from what I've gathered, is that amount added to my income tax for '99 or do they send me a tax bill at my '98 rate.

Sorry if the questions are a bit silly, but I'm very new to quite a bit of this.

Thanks,

James
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.