Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I heard from a tax preparer that if the wife and husband work 12 hours apart during the day they can use married filing with single status. Is it correct?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Find another tax preparer. There is no way to file single if you are married. You can file "Married filing separate", but this is not the same as filing "Single" and there is no precondition for choosing this filing status.

Note, however, that choosing to file as "Married filing separate" does affect many of the other choices available to you as you prepare your return(s). There are times (and states) where there can be large differences in tax liability based on the choice of "Married filing ..." status. You should calculate your return both ways to decide what is best for you.

Ira
Thanks for your quick response.
There is no way to file single if you are married.

Actually, I believe there is. If you have not lived together for the whole year you can, as in separted for a divorce. Maybe even less. There's some other rules, but it isn't really relevant to the question as asked. I thought I'd just be picky. You probably know the rules better than I.
Actually, I believe there is. If you have not lived together for the whole year you can, as in separted for a divorce. Maybe even less. There's some other rules, but it isn't really relevant to the question as asked. I thought I'd just be picky. You probably know the rules better than I.

A quick look at Publication 17 (which I realize isn't the final authority) reveals that once considered married, you are only considered single again if you are legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree or an annulment (or widowed). State law determines the facts.

I believe what you are thinking of are the special rules under which you may qualify to file as Head of Household even when not yet divorced. I don't think that this is what the original question was referring to.

Ira