Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband and I have filed our returns as married filing jointly for last 2 years. We are both Resident aliens. I have a permanant job now in US, while my husband will be going back to our home country to study next year. He will have no earnings there as a student. All our investments and accounts are in US in our joint names. Will we be able to still file as married filing jointly for year 2001. Please bear in mind that I will be a Resident Alien while he will be a Non-Resident Alien. He, ofcourse will have no income outside US to show.

Thanks in advance.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.