Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
A few years back when I took my taxes to have them filed for me with someone that had done my taxes for me before I ask about filing married but separate and he said that you could not file that way unless you were legally separated for at least six months. So I guess my question is is that true? I had figured my taxes both ways and had discovered that if we filed separate our taxes wouldn't be as high that year. But taking the advice of my accountant I decided it wasn't worth the risk especially when he said we could get fined very heavily for it if we were caught. Of course that is the same year he messed up my taxes anyway and we no longer feel the need for his services. Thanks
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.