Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Marti

As is my experience with lawyers, we had a hard time connecting with the lawyer, and we were never sent anything that said the property had been transferred. When we did connect with the lawyer, she said that she had never received the assessment for the property. We had trouble connecting with the assessor as he was in Florida. As an aside, he assessed the property as worth much more than the tax assessment. So the IRS gift form (910?) was corrected and resubmitted (I guess), but the filing date of the gift of December 28, 2012, remained the same on the paperwork we finally received.

But the fact was that my wife was still listed on the county records we could find online as being the owner until about a month ago.

An added complication was that we moved from our home on February 11 (which was separate from the cottage business) so there was a period of preparing to move, selling assets and paying for the new place, then moving, followed by moving in. The cottage expenses were automatically taken from the property checking account.

The son finally hired his own lawyer who managed to get the property ownership changed on the county register. (He also dissolved the LLC at the son's request.)

I guess the generic question is, if you pay expenses on business property you don't own, can you take those expenses as a business tax deduction?

By the way, changing things with financial institutions is a nightmare, even your address. For example, I have power of attorney over my wife's accounts with Schwab (who has had a stroke), but was told I didn't have the right to change my wife's address though I could do trading and sign checks on the Schwab One account. On an insurance policy, I changed the address for our claims but still got mail transferred from the old address. It turns out that I also had to change the address with the policy department separately. And on and on. Of course, if I was a Pakistani, I wouldn't have all these problems of wealth.

brucedoe
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.