Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 26
Martin asked "What are the top three MLPs to buy today?"

In most sectors, that is a good question. For MLPs, it is a terrible question. It is terrible because the questions is highly context sensitive. (It is like asking what are the best 2 REITs when the one providing the answer has already expressed the idea that one needs exposure to Apartments, Malls, Office, Storage and Health Care sub-sectors if one is creating a long term portfolio.)

Let's say you don't have any MLPs currently - and you do not want to mess with the hassle of K-1s or worry about potential UBTIs in IRAs. Such investors should buy KMI and WMB. I also own PAGP and TRGP - and those two fit as being c-corps. ENLC and WGP are also good options.

Average MLP investing has not recently (or since 2010) beaten the market. On the other hand, high CAGR MLP investing beats both the AMZ and the S&P 500. Some high CAGR projections will not materialize. You need to be diversified in your high CAGR investments. Three is not enough to have that diversity. You can use the spreadsheet found in my article to find the high CAGR options.

If you already own MLPs and do not own EPD - you are procrastinating on investing in something that will make your portfolio safer.

If you need yield at a reasonable growth rate - ETP is very attractive. BPL also qualifies as being growth at a reasonable yield.

Those are the top four context sensitive responses that come to mind - but I am sure that there are many, many others.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.