Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 8
Martin
Ok....I downloaded 10Q of operational interest expense (the cost of their debt) and 10Q of CFFO, from which I calculate the trend in the ratio [Interest Expense]/[CFFO + Interest Expense], using rolling 4Q. This will tell you how much of their operational cash generated from they investments they've made (much of it funded with debt) as a % of their operational cash BEFORE the interest expense is deducted.

4Q17 27.6%
1Q18 27.1%
2Q18 26.8%
3Q18 28.5%
4Q18 29.0%
1Q19 31.8%
2Q19 32.2%
3Q19 30.1%

this is not a good progression in their REIT's cost of debt. In my travels, anything above 25% = a flat dividend. Anything over 30%, a cut to the common dividend is a definite possibility.

But this will likely not affect the preferred dividend...unless this ratio starts pushing 40%, as the company at that point is going to have to start retaining all cash to meet their debt obligation.

You can do the same calcs if you have access to Mergent.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.