Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
martybl, just go ahead and get the car already....you know you want to. ;)

Keep in mind the S2000 was designed a minimalist purpose-built car, with no electronic nannies or much of anything in the way of creature comforts. The car debuted in 1999 (when airbag switches were pretty rare) and had a minor update in 2004. I'll wager that the airbag switch was not added in 2004 because updating the wiring harness would be a major PITA (I've routed wires in this car, it's not fun), and they may not have had room to drop in the smart airbag controller used in other Hondas (space is at a premium).

That said, I would be perfectly willing to take a kid for a short ride in my 2000. Not a baby in a car seat, but an older child. Even if you were in an accident where the airbags deployed, the accident itself is going to be the predominant cause of injury (it's a small car). To worry about the miniscule chance that the airbag could cause additional injury seems a bit misplaced, IMO.

If they ever get around to re-designing the car, I think you'll see a passenger airbag switch added. Mainly for the reasons you see in this thread - people expect it to be there. Unfortunately, I fear they may add traction control and a whole bunch of other "features" that take the edge off of what is an exceptional car. Again, simply because the masses expect it when cross shopping other 2 seaters.

I think I'll keep my 2002 model.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.