No. of Recommendations: 0
Marv,

If you think about the way most companies handle vacation and leave compensation, I'm not sure that there necessarily is much "interest" accruing to deferred compensation, except perhaps in those cases where salaried employees separate from a company and receive payment for unused vacation and leave time... and most companies have fairly strict limits on "banking" such leave.

If the company you are looking at has an unusually high amount of deferred compensation, compared to its competitors, I would agree this might be a concern, though I'd be more concerned about trying to place a value on ESOPs, which are usually *not* identified as deferred compensation.

There is a lot of disagreement at present on how such compensation should be reported, and many companies choose the method that tends to "hide" much of this item in the footnotes, and which security analysts are still grappling with in terms of assessing its real impact on a firm's intrinsic and probable future value.

A very interesting article on the subject of ESOPs as a "semi-hidden" liability appears to be:

http://www.capatcolumbia.com/Articles/FoFinance/Fof6.pdf
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.