Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Has anyone ever made mashed potatoes with a combination of regular potatoes and sweet potatoes? I want to add some complex carbs to my meal, but I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes. I thought mixing might be the answer.
Print the post Back To Top
RE: "regular potatoes and sweet potatoes"

Any of the root vegetables, (sweet potatoe, yams, turnips, carrots, parsnips etc), can be mashed, either alone or in combinations.

Just go light on the added liquid and seasonings to begin with. You can always add more.

Plus, sweet potatoes add a little color to the plate!
We usually have regular mashed potatoes and mashed sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. We have them in seperate bowls, but I don't see why you couldn't combine them.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi, anattafool--

We're (gasp!) heretics. We do potato salad on Thanksgiving instead of mashed potatoes. But when we do make mashed potatoes, we use unsalted butter, canned evaporated milk, salt and pepper, and a healthy dose of Tabasco for some zing. If we're in the mood, we might add cheddar cheese, sour cream, or roasted garlic and fresh minced parsley. So adding sweet potatoes wouldn't work in that particular recipe, I don't think.

I usually make a sweet potato casserole on Thanksgiving. Seems to be more of a hit than candied yams. But if you're not a sweet potato fan, pureed roasted butternut squash is excellent. I'll be happy to post a recipe if you're interested.

Best,
Cat
Yes, please do! The countdown is on for my shopping list, so I have to make a decision either today or tomorrow.
Another nice presentation is to purchase very small acorn squash. Cut out the top and scrape out the seeds. Pour a semi-sweet white wine and a chutney sauce inside. Cover with the top. Bake for about an hour to hour and a half until tender.

Add a small amount of baked sweet potaoto casserole inside. (Actually I use something similar to a sweet potato souffle.) Warm the two together before serving.

Barry
Hi, anattafool--

Here's a link to the recipe, courtesy of Michael Chiarello and Food Network:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/roasted...

The recipe for the roasted squash is at the bottom. It yields quite a bit and freezes well. If I'm serving the pureed squash as a side dish I usually season it with some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and some brown sugar if it isn't sweet enough.

The soup is excellent, too--very warming on a cold winter day.

Enjoy!

Best,
Cat
I've made mashed potatoes with half white and half sweet potatoes. I like it. Sometimes mashed sweet potato is too sweet for me and sometimes white potatoes can be a little boring. Mixing them solves both of these problems, at least for my taste.

Jim
Thank you!
Did you use any particular spices?
Has anyone ever made mashed potatoes with a combination of regular potatoes and sweet potatoes?

I've mixed mashed with sweet potatoes but I really like the taste of sweet potatoes so I don't want to tone it down with the "regular" potatoes.

But we do mix turnips with the "regular" mashed. As not everyone likes the taste of the turnips, the regular potatoes tone down the the taste of the turnips and everyone seems to like the combo.

Christina
No. of Recommendations: 1
Here are 3 alternative ways to make your mashie:

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/mashed-potatoes-three-ways....
Perfect!!!!
So it was a fairly successful day. The turkey was done too early and in an effort to keep up, I rushed the potatoes which then ended up sitting for 40 minutes while I let the turkey rest.

I ended up using the first mashed potato recipe and as an extra bonus, I added some carrots. I think I used too much butter and could have gone lighter in that respect, but they turned out very yummy.

I now have more turkey, gravy and mashed potatoes then I know what to do with. I have already put about half in the freezer, set some aside for sandwiches, made three individual meal containers with all the trimmings, and set some aside for a turkey pot pie (to be made in a couple of days).

I didn't get a nap in yesterday due to all the cooking activity, so I'm going to catch up by taking one now.

:-)