No. of Recommendations: 0
Other than saving for the time a self-employed mom will be out of work with a newborn, any ideas for the above scenario?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
You presumably have to main concerns---

1) maintaining your business in your absence

2) replacing or doing without the income you earn from your business.

Both made be easy or hard depending on your circumstances.

Seattle Pioneer
No. of Recommendations: 2
I am a small business owner and have had to make arrangements to be out of the field while I recover from my hysterectomy. There are too many considerations that your post does not provide. What type of business? For me, I work in the field and with clients on a infrequent, but regular interval. I have been able to train my dh to do the field work so that I can continue with the phone and computer communications. If I had a new baby, I would likely arrange for childcare for the hours needed to keep the business afloat...or work weekends when dh was home. Depends greatly on the type of business and hours needed. I worked evenings, weekends and nights when dh was home and was able to keep the business going.

L
No. of Recommendations: 1
My wife is the money earner in our business (I run the administrative side). She had a C-section on Monday (two years ago now) and met with an employee on Wednesday in the hospital and was back at her desk the next Monday. I worked from home and went in on the weekends till our child got into daycare.

This is an extreme case but she was the MAJOR source of income for the business so there weren't any options available. You do what you have to do to make it work.

Next time though, my wife anticipates taking more time actually off and only working part time for a bit. We can do that because we're a bit bigger now.

Each and every situtation is different. Good luck and congratulations.

Simon
No. of Recommendations: 0
I say go straight in and demand a generous maternity leave package from your boss. Look her straight in the eye and don't take no for an answer.

Heh heh...weak jokes aside, I dunno what to tell you. I think your maternity leave will probably have to be as abbreviated as possible, unless you have the type of business someone else can take over. Give us more details and I'll try to think up a more sensible answer.

Oh, and congratulations!!!! :-)

-Molly