Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
My new husband has an old Roth IRA in a bank CD and in the past when it has matured he just lets it roll over because he hasn't wanted to deal with it.

Ultimately he would like to transfer that money to his Roth IRA account that he has with a mutual fund company and be able to invest it there, but due to the hassle factor he's just let it go for years. I'd like us to take care of this and get it done.

The CD will roll over on 1/7. It is in a bank is in a state that my husband used to live in, so not someplace we can get to physically.

What is the process for transferring? I understand that a trustee-to-trustee transfer is possible. It would have to be after the CD matures, right? But before any rollover would occur? Where do we start? With the bank? With the mutual fund company where he has his other Roth money?

Is there enough time to accomplish such a thing before the rollover (1/7)? Or can we stop the rollover part and have more time to transfer later? Would a phone call to the bank be enough to stop the rollover?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.