Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
May I suggest a book for you? It's called Making Sense of God, with the subtitle Finding God in the Modern World.

Tim Keller, the author, has had a remarkably successful ministry in New York City, reaching thousands of hardened skeptics, the highly educated and sophisticated graduates of today's best colleges and universities. I am one of them, and know many more... Reading it may not change your mind, but it will help you be more informed in what it is you're rejecting.

I tried it, the kindle version and the audiobook version, both available at my library.

I found it a difficult book to read. He has an annoying habit of quoting other writers, as if the sheer quantity of quotes somehow makes a better argument. I disagreed with much of it.

Here's a couple of quotes from the book:

"Ultimately, nonbelief in God is an act of faith..."

Wait, what?

"all scholars agree that Gospel traditions must originally have been formulated by disciples of Jesus and others who encountered him, witnessed the events, and remembered his teaching."

Wha-what?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.