Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

While I should have considered selling my CAPS portfolio at the beginning of May, my real portfolio closed at an all-time month-end high.  My CAPS did recover from the early low for the month, so any sale action would have resulted in locking in losses.  At this point, real life is much more interesting.  Since July 2006, my portfolio value has closed higher than the prior month.  This has been the longest period for me with no down ending months.  Of course, I've seen the value drop during most months, but each time it recovered to a new high. 

The main difference between CAPS and real life is the buy-in price.  When I first started CAPs, I pulled what I thought were the best companies in my live portfolio.  Well, most were good, but my timing in entering CAPS was not very good.  I would not have purchased many of the picks at those prices.  On some of the later picks, I made them after the real purchse when the price was slightly higher.  I also add on dips, which you can't do in CAPS.  So in real life, you should do better than CAPS, which I really like.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.