Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've never had a CP2000 document mismatch notice on a decedent's final return and the returns always have income reported to the decedent that is allocated to the estate.


We've had them rarely. It really helps if you report the things like interest and dividends 1099 amounts in full on the Schedule B, and then subtract off the estate's or trust's portion. (Assuming the 1099s that have to get allocated are in the name and SS number of the deceased.)

Sometimes when it's a lot of things, we attached a worksheet laying it all out. That usually does prevent problems.

1099s issued to the estate normally aren't as much of a problem, because a lot of estates use a fiscal year, so the 1099s aren't matchable anyway.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.