Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Maybe my ego is in the way here, but I don’t know unless it’s the age and salary level thing.
This is indeed quite likely.

I hope you understand that I really didn't mean that just because they were laying you off you weren't valuable to them - or inherently in and of yourself. Just that one of the horrible mental adjustments of a lay-off is that a company you have been loyal to, and poured lots of hours into, and to which you have brought huge returns can turn on a dime and toss you out. Change of guard. Change of management. Cleaning house so the new CEO can bring in their preferred people. Whatever. It's cold. And not always rational. But there it is.

Go defensive. Look for the best job possible (if you are already getting offers you are bound to get more). Look forward. But unless you love negotiating (and I know peple who do, although I am not one of them!), it's probably not worth it to haggle over this a lot. Strong negotiating is a good idea, but if it doesn't work out, leave it behind and move on.

PS - I love working for myself in that I know I won't ever have to fire myself until/unless I quit to be a barista.
:)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.