Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Maybe what is needed is for there to be a separation between marriage as a religious institution and civil unions or partnerships as the secular government term describing all committed relationships between two individuals regardless of sex. Marriage would be totally a religious thing and administered by the churches (this one will be fun since some churches will marry same-sex couples while others will not.). Civil unions or partnerships would be applied for, granted and dissolved by the States and would affect everyone -- heterosexual and homosexual couples alike. The states would recognize only civil unions or partnerships and all laws would apply equally to the individuals in these state recognized relationships regardless of their sex.

Oh, my, rationality rears its head. Your solution is perfect -- I suspect that that's the way things will eventually shake out. But I don't look forward to the process. Personally, I thing the Mass. judges and San Francisco mayor would have served their purpose far better had they waited a year.

As for the real motives... I can't say, but the beneficiary of their actions is very likely to be Bush.

And, as a semi-Democratic independent (and nice person/athiest) I agree totally about the Republican bashing. Bashing on the basis of beliefs -- how peculiar to find that here.

Ann
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.