Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Bearing Arms.com isn't to happy with the McCloskeys:

"I confess that I didn’t see this plea deal coming. With the governor assuring the pair of a pardon, and Mark McCloskey’s senate campaign in full swing, I saw the trial as an opportunity for McCloskey to get a lot of free press coverage without running the risk of actually going to jail or prison if he and his wife were convicted. It’s one thing to run for Senate on a campaign of “I stood up to the mob and stood my ground when I was prosecuted for it.” It’s something else entirely to base your campaign message on “I stood up to the mob but took a plea deal because it was in my best interest to do so.”

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2021/06/17/mccloskeys-ple...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
It’s one thing to run for Senate on a campaign of “I stood up to the mob and stood my ground when I was prosecuted for it.” It’s something else entirely to base your campaign message on “I stood up to the mob but took a plea deal because it was in my best interest to do so.”

Defending themselves in court would have cost more than a Senate campaign.

I doubt the McCloskeys could have afforded both.

Fundamental Law of the Universe 23B:
Every organism from the lowest ameba to the smartest human will do that which it perceives to be in its own best interest.
No. of Recommendations: 3
The McCloskeys did an interview with FoxBusiness expaining 'why' they took the plea-deal.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/mark-mccloskey-st-louis...

...McCloskey told FOX Business’ Dagan McDowell that when he and his wife showed up to court "the new prosecutor dropped all the gun charges and the felonies."

"He presented me with a charge that said I purposely placed other people in apprehension of immediate physical injury," he continued. "Well, heck that’s what I did."

McCloskey noted that "the whole purpose" of holding guns was to "make people back up [and] put them in that immediate fear of physical injury."

"That’s what kept them from killing me and burning down the house
and so it was kind of hard for me to say that I didn’t do that because that’s what I did," he explained.

McCloskey said he will pay a fine of $750, and his wife will pay an additional penalty on a different misdemeanor charge.
"It’s kind of a non-event, Class C misdemeanor, fine," McCloskey told McDowell. "It’s a little face-saving for the prosecution’s office."

The couple’s guns, seized after their initial arrests last year, will be destroyed, even though McCloskey’s attorney asked in court for the judge to allow his rifle to be donated to a charity auction....

I'd imagine an auction would pull in a tidy sum for the confiscated arms. (bolding above done by me)
No. of Recommendations: 6
"That’s what kept them from killing me and burning down the house and so it was kind of hard for me to say that I didn’t do that because that’s what I did," he explained.

------------------

It is hard for me to accept that preventing a mob from killing you and burning down your house would be against the law at all, let alone being a misdemeanor.
What they did was plain bad judgement.
They were lawyers ,they should have known about "brandishing" a firearm.

The legal definition of brandishing is not what the word actually means

https://definitions.uslegal.com/b/brandished/.

dictionary definition.
wave or flourish (something, especially a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.
"a man leaped out brandishing a knife"

Yet another example of how judges and or legislatures have managed to torture the English language until it confesses to anything they want

And how prosecutors can step over the line -using their office for political advantage
They were lawyers ,they should have known about "brandishing" a firearm.

I wonder what would have happened if he just went out with his rifle strapped in front of him. No hand on it at all. Wife with her firearm in a holster but easily seen.

FWIW, she was the "dumber" of the two, IIRC, she was pointing her firearm at people. However, can't really blame them either.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 4
What they did was plain bad judgement. They were lawyers ,they should have known about "brandishing" a firearm.

They were standing their ground. Defending their lives and property. Brandishing was clearly warranted in this case.

Recalling the incident during an interview last year, Mark said he warned the rioters that they were trespassing on private property, which "enraged" them. "A mob of at least 100 smashed through the historic wrought-iron gates of Portland Place, destroying them, rushed towards my home, where my family was having dinner outside and put us in fear of our lives," McCloskey said. “This is all private property. There are no public sidewalks or public streets,” he continued. "We were told that we would be killed, our home burned and our dog killed. We were all alone facing an angry mob…all shouting, all coming towards us."

Since the charges were a misdemeanor, he ended up buying a new AR to replace the one the state took. Picture at link.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/06/21/mcclo...

Rope
No. of Recommendations: 10
I wonder what would have happened if he just went out with his rifle strapped in front of him. No hand on it at all. Wife with her firearm in a holster but easily seen. FWIW, she was the "dumber" of the two, IIRC, she was pointing her firearm at people. However, can't really blame them either.

Clear cut case of using a firearm to prevent a crime and to protect oneself without firing a shot. Yet many seem to be siding with the trespassers and hoodlums. This is exactly what seems to be happening in many blue areas across the nation, the citizen who defends his life and property is charged with the crime while the hoodlum is sent on his merry way. I suppose if the McCloskey family had been murdered by the mob it would somehow have been okay? SMH.

Rope