Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
MCOM is certainly the best pure play in the wireless Internet. However, they arn't even far enough along yet to qualify as a Rule Breaker - although they have the makings.

To me MCOM is a very risky proposition. No one knows what standard will be used. CDMA for example can deliver broadband speeds. But will CDMA infrastructure be in place in time to become the dominant standard? And even if it isn't - and MCOM gets established, will CDMA replace MCOM once it gets established?

Right now people want cell phones. Right now people can hook up some brands of cell phones and use them as slow speed modems. In a few years this slow speed will be upgraded to broadband. So the question is, will people pay $29 a month to MCOM, pay an ISP, and pay a cell phone fee, or will they prefer just the ISP and the cell phone? There is no way to know.

We don't even know if their will be qualitative differences between MCOMs service and CDMA. What the coverage will be for both, what advantage either will have, or even if an adequate data CDMA infrastructure will ever be built. In this latter scenario MCOM will make some people in today a fortune.

It just appears to me, that all things being equal, CDMA, which also allows voice communication, will be the preferred choice long-term (then again, and I've asked this question before, is MCOM CDMA based?)

Probably the surest bet is to buy companies that actually build the wireless infrastructure, like QCOM, but also companies that own the towers. Like BIGT, I believe (although it could be BIG? some other letter).

If MCOM rules out, it will be BIG, REALLY BIG. It could just as easily wash out as all the CDMA wireless talk becomes ubiquitous reality. I don't think anybody can say at this time. It is called venture capital. You either take your big bets, and hope for the best, diversify, and hope to get 1 or 2 big winners, or 3, buy the infrastructure plays that will win regardless.

Back in 1980 the big winners of the PC era were hardly a blip on anyone's screen (except maybe IBM and Intel and a few other ancient companies). DELL, MSFT, CSCO, were no where to be seen. Wireless Internet is at that same point today. It will be fun, and hopefully this thread will give us a view of a few of the future gems.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.