No. of Recommendations: 0
me: Also did you know the Roman Catholic leadership in the U.S. has opposed restrictions on immigration.

commoncents33:
Citation, please?

http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/human-life-and-dignit...

In January 2003, the U.S. Catholic Bishops released a pastoral letter on migration entitled, "Strangers No Longer: Together on the Journey of Hope." In their letter, the Bishops stressed that, "[w]hen persons cannot find employment in their country of origin to support themselves and their families, they have a right to find work elsewhere in order to survive. Sovereign nations should provide ways to accommodate this right." No. 35. The Bishops made clear that the "[m]ore powerful economic nations…ave a stronger obligation to accommodate migration flows." No. 36.

For "opposing restrictions on immigration" would be complete and utter nonsense, incompatible with an orderly society. If the were simply no restricions, then one could just fire all border security and immigration officials, and leave the borders unattended, right? And if a half a billion foreigners decided they want to come here? Great! No restrictions.

WOW! This is a fantastic way to kill a discussion.
Take the other person's position and push it to the extreme. Then be amazed at how extreme their position is.

Forgive me if I don't apply the same method to your argument.

I'm thinking you have no idea what you're talking about, and putting your own words into the mouths of the "Catholic leadership".

In your opinion what is the position of the Catholic leadership on immigration? Do you understand that they favor the Republican view or the Democratic view?

On this and many other issues the Catholic Church much more favors the policies and positions of the Democrats over the Republicans. Abortion and birth control being the most talked about exceptions.

Do you dispute this?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.