Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 44
A dog had followed his owner to school. His owner was a fourth grader at a public elementary school. When the bell rang, the dog sidled inside the building and made it all the way to the child's classroom with him before a teacher noticed him and shoo'ed him back outside, and closing the door behind him. The dog sat down outside the door, whimpering and staring at the closed doors and not understanding in the least as to why he was refused entry. Then - God appeared beside the dog, patted him on the head to comfort him, and said, "Don't feel bad fella'.... they won't let ME in there either."
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 20
Then - God appeared beside the dog, patted him on the head to comfort him, and said, "Don't feel bad fella'.... they won't let ME in there either."

I'm not sure I get it? Which god are you talking about?

I wouldn't editorialize, but the "joke" seems like commentary without humor, although of course that's just my opinion...but...

My cousin attends a public high school and reads her bible before class during a bible study, in the school, every day. She also reads it IN class when her teacher/class gets a little boring. No one has ever bothered her. So I am not sure what you are trying to say.

FFL
No. of Recommendations: 0
My cousin attends a public high school and reads her bible before class during a bible study, in the school, every day. She also reads it IN class when her teacher/class gets a little boring. No one has ever bothered her. So I am not sure what you are trying to say

I think it was a California school. Alabama schools are more open in this respect.

Keith
No. of Recommendations: 1
Somebody once said that there would be prayer in schools as long as there were tests. I agree.

Karen
No. of Recommendations: 153
Then - God appeared beside the dog, patted him on the head to comfort him, and said, "Don't feel bad fella'.... they won't let ME in there either."

The dog replied, "Yes, but I exist."
No. of Recommendations: 5

I wouldn't editorialize, but the "joke" seems like commentary without humor, although of course that's just my opinion...but...

My cousin attends a public high school and reads her bible before class during a bible study, in the school, every day. She also reads it IN class when her teacher/class gets a little boring. No one has ever bothered her. So I am not sure what you are trying to say.

No one had to get it. Wasn't meant to be Humorous. Urban Legends are sometimes commentary. After reading the response to my post, I was going to suggest that the question might receive more deserving conversation on the AF board, but I was beaten to it.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21956826

Lighten up & God bless!

Best regards,
sonrol
No. of Recommendations: 26

To which God replied; "Yes, you do exist, because of my choosing..."

SSBB

The dog replied, "Yes, but I exist.",

Now, I don't get it!
No. of Recommendations: 11
I thought this joke was funnier when it was not a school but a church, refusing admission to a scruffy homeless man.
No. of Recommendations: 17

You believe in talking dogs?

You believe in talking dogs?

Apparently! And many others are wagging their tails in shared approval!

Maybe it's a kind of urban legend rather than humor (?)

Dunno ... OTOH, maybe posting it here rather than on PA is supposed to be the humorous part (?)

--SirTas
Maybe it's a kind of urban legend rather than humor (?)

Dunno ... OTOH, maybe posting it here rather than on PA is supposed to be the humorous part (?)

--SirTas

Hi SirTas,

You are correct, of course. And, I stand corrected.

It was not my intention to convey a political statement, religious view or to elicit a philosophical debate, given the name of this board. It was posted in the spirit of the board. Nothing more, nothing less. It is what it is!

In the future, I will consider only posts that are deemed, politically correct, in the eyes and minds of all potential readers. I will never again be insensitive, to the fact, that there are deep thinkers on this board, that can read more into something than is really there.

Again, my apologies. And, I hope the end of the discussion.

Best regards,

sonrol
P.S. Didn't imagine deep thinkers would visit a humor board.
No. of Recommendations: 2
SirTas added to your Favorite Fools list
No. of Recommendations: 10

And the dog responded: "No, because of evolution. It was thousands of years of breeding by man that led to my becoming what I am today."
No. of Recommendations: 3

And the dog responded: "No, because of evolution. It was thousands of years of breeding by man that led to my becoming what I am today."

And God said: "That's what you believe."
No. of Recommendations: 3
<i<Then - God appeared beside the dog, patted him on the head to comfort him, and said, "Don't feel bad fella'.... they won't let ME in there either."

To which the dog replied: ARWF..ARWF...ARWF
sonrol
P.S. Didn't imagine deep thinkers would visit a humor board.

Now you're telling on yourself. ;^)

And God replied, “I don't get it. You are barking up the wrong proverbial tree. Let's take a break from this deep conversation and see what beautiful weather I have created for you today.”

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sonrol1/detail?.dir=2368&.dnm=8837.jpg&.src=ph
You lay out a couple of excellent points with that link.

Keith
Isn't this more appropriate at the Political Asylum or other board?

The "humor" seems to be wearing thin and provoking something other than smiles, giggles or laughs.

Ken
You lay out a couple of excellent points with that link.

Merely Points to Ponder!
Isn't this more appropriate at the Political Asylum or other board?

The "humor" seems to be wearing thin and provoking something other than smiles, giggles or laughs.

"Ignore Thread". Works for me.
In the future, I will consider only posts that are deemed, politically correct, in the eyes and minds of all potential readers.

I don't think you understand...you don't have to post things that are politically correct. But stuff that isn't even an attempt at being funny is out of place.
I don't think you understand...you don't have to post things that are politically correct. But stuff that isn't even an attempt at being funny is out of place.

I understand now. Thank you for your example.

I think that's it. Irony, while quite valuable as an observation of human nature, is often not funny and is a tough fit here.

Still I would never suggest anyone unwillingly visit that h*ll that is the PA board.

glh
No. of Recommendations: 26
Then the Buddha appeared and said, "What's this? No dogs or gods allowed?"

Then Krishna appeared, and said "Well, I can understand you three, but how can they keep me out?"

Allah also dropped down, and said, "Let me try. The one true god cannot be denied."

Then Zeus, and Thor, and hundreds of little gods of the trees, and the wind, and the waters appeared, each demanding entrance and thinking they were the only gods that should be before the children.

The teacher peeked out the window to see what all the commotion was about, and saw the poor dog cowering and looking scared amoung all the thundering and lighting bolts being tossed about.

The teacher opened the door and said, "Come on in, boy. You're the only one out there that won't disrupt the class."

The teacher opened the door and said, "Come on in, boy. You're the only one out there that won't disrupt the class."

Unless he craps on the floor.
No. of Recommendations: 30

Unless he craps on the floor.

Better than crapping on the Constitution and the rights of all the non-Christian children.
Better than crapping on the Constitution and the rights of all the non-Christian children.

Agreed. Like dog crap, that smells too.

Agreed. Like dog crap, that smells too.

Thank you!

I agree. Better to pass no law that restricts the free practice of religion.

Keith
-----

Funny is in the eye of the beerholder.
No. of Recommendations: 13

Right. Which is what we currently have. There is no law, contrary to what many 'persecuted' fundies say, that prevents a student from saying a non-disruptive prayer in class at any time, or reading their bible in free time, or even passing out religious literature to friends in school.

But allowing the school itself to impose religious symbols or prayers of one religion on students of another religion is an infringement of those student's rights, and the law of the Constitution protects those rights.

The restrictions on religious freedom I see today are, for example, the polygamy laws that prevent certain religions from practicing multiple marriages (which the govt should stay out of) and laws that prevent certain American Indian tribes from using peyote in their ceremonies, which has been gone back and forth over the decades.

Other than these types of examples, there are no restrictions on the free practice of religion in this country, fundy wailing and gnashing of teeth not withstanding.

Right. Which is what we currently have. There is no law, contrary to what many 'persecuted' fundies say, that prevents a student from saying a non-disruptive prayer in class at any time, or reading their bible in free time, or even passing out religious literature to friends in school.

But allowing the school itself to impose religious symbols or prayers of one religion on students of another religion is an infringement of those student's rights, and the law of the Constitution protects those rights.

The restrictions on religious freedom I see today are, for example, the polygamy laws that prevent certain religions from practicing multiple marriages (which the govt should stay out of) and laws that prevent certain American Indian tribes from using peyote in their ceremonies, which has been gone back and forth over the decades.

Other than these types of examples, there are no restrictions on the free practice of religion in this country, fundy wailing and gnashing of teeth not withstanding.

-----

This is where the Bush administration has brought us. Even the places for humor have become political. Not politically humorous -- just... political.
<sigh>

Rich

Only if the school is government-run.

I figure that a law requiring government-run schools to exclude God from the education of children is a law respecting the establishment of religion. And a government-run school including some particular concept of God (or even just the existence of God) in the education of children is a law respecting the establishment of religion.

Either way, government-run schools are in violation of the first amendment.

(Solution: separation of education and state.)

Only if the school is government-run.

I figure that a law requiring government-run schools to exclude God from the education of children is a law respecting the establishment of religion. And a government-run school including some particular concept of God (or even just the existence of God) in the education of children is a law respecting the establishment of religion.

Either way, government-run schools are in violation of the first amendment.

(Solution: separation of education and state.)

Over to the AF board where this belongs:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21968805&post=true