Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
After watching the Golf Channel ad on TV, I signed up for the "free" Kick-X balls. I didn't do this for the reasons given in the commercial but merely to get some balls. I thought it would be just a sleeve, but it turned out it was for a box of 12. I used some of them but found no advantage over the balls I normally use.
Later, I got a credit card statement with some odd charges on it--six to be exact, all less than $.25, totaling $.99 and all to the same company (which I could not identify). I called the company listed on the statement and It turned out to be the shipping charge for the balls. They said the multiple charges were because of a computer glitch and I had no reason to disbelieve them.
Today I got another statement from the credit card company with a $43.35 charge which I, again, couldn't identify. It was from someone calling themselves Pure Golf. I thought that, maybe, this had to do with the
Kick-X balls again, so I did a little research* and found that this is a scam. Apparently, this "free" offer isn't free after all. In the small print somewhere in the offer it states that "if you aren't happy with the balls, send them back and you won't be charged". Silly me--I missed this caveat.
In the research, I found that I wasn't the only one with multiple charges for the shipping and that I wasn't the only one gullible enough to think that there is, after all, something free in life.
Ah, well--I guess the $44 is a small price for learning a valuable lesson.

*http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1394475/
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1095375-kick-x-tour-z-go...

~D
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.