Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Me: This thread had kind-of "died out", so . . .

Nellie: But you couldn't let it, could you?

Well, when I count back on the thread list, after 5000fingers' post, I see one from you, so it sounds like the Nellie "pot" is calling the W5 "kettle" . . .

Me: I don't want the board turning into a place where cheap shots are routinely laid against people

Nellie: Then you should stop making them. You are the only one who partakes in this behavior on this board, and most of your cheap shots are directed at me.
I think people should pay their debts. That is not a cheap shot. If you can't handle that, too bad.

I think the "cheap" part related to the language about the "lack of morals" of those who don't pay back. You have a very selective memory, and that's no "shot". That's fact.

Me: It just sounds like lower-middle-class California whites complaining about how the Hispanics come here "illegally"

Nellie: No. It sounds like your New Jersey, "I pay more than anyone else in taxes and therefore I should take advantage of the system more than anyone else" whining. Oh wait -- that's you!

Fact is, you don't know a damn thing about me. You don't know if I am lower-middle-class and you don't know if I'm a Latina. And you certainly don't know my beliefs about immigration. So who's making the incorrect assumptions?

In New Jersey, we pay a lot of taxes--but as I remember it, I recall the explanation as one, that since New Jerseyites pay a lot of taxes, they couldn't necessarily be "free riding" off of (I think it was) your tax money. Then I showed how Californians as a whole get more from the government than New Jerseyites, who end up paying well in excess of what they get back. It was a popular link by the way. A lot of people don't realize what the higher-income states pay.

The "take advantage of the system" crack, however, sounds like one of those things you say you never do here . . .

Me: The original sentence was right in the league with something like "the people waited in the welfare line, and then go home and eat fried chicken and grits."

Nellie: No it wasn't. Stop trying to distort my words and repeating this worn out lie. The original statement was along the lines of:
They run a walk-in clinic. They're in a lower income part of town. They have lots of uninsured patients. They probably have collections.

Yeah, I guess if the original quote were just that, there would have been no issue . . .
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.