Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
Me: Where else in the Arab world can an Arab even vote?

TeraG: This is one of the most ignorant questions I have seen in a long time.

Well, yes and no. TG kindly emailed me her spreadsheet, but it was formatted in such a way that I couldn't read it. I suspect that she created it in Excel 2000 or XP, which are not backward compatible with Excel 97. Microsoft's little trick to get you to buy the same product over and over.

So I did a little research myself. Turns out that Arabs can vote in most Arab countries. But I still question whether it means anything (and I was only concerned with the national level in my previous post, not voting for town council or dogcatcher). Taking the Arab world from west to east:

Morocco: monarchy
Algeria: military dictatorship
Tunisia: seems like they actually elect their leaders
Libya: dictatorship
Egypt: elections
Palestine: dictatorship
Syria: dictatorship
Iraq: dictatorship
Saudi Arabia: monarchy

Those are the biggies, or at least most of them. Go further east and you run out of Arabs. Even in some of the dictatorships/monarchies, the people elect national assemblies, but I believe they are rubber stamps for the rulers.

TG should really get out more. There are lots of questions far more ignorant than mine everywhere you look.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.