Skip to main content
Update
The boards are getting a new home!

We're pleased to announce an update is coming to the community boards.

Sunday, September 25th: We are migrating the boards to a new platform. The site is currently in read-only mode and we will bring it back online as soon as the migration is complete.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Click below to continue the discussion on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 53
Funny how a few days of slings and arrows clears out the cobwebs. We will award Feste this year as usual after all. By your very criticisms and passions, it was proven to be a mistake to cancel it in the first place. I apologize for getting everyone's dander up unnecessarily.

Going forward, I still want to morph Feste into something more relevant to newer Fools, while maintaining interest for those who have been here for years. I have a few ideas I want to kick around internally first, but I'd also like to seek your input. What would you change, if anything?

Thanks, and once again, apologies.

Richard
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
Funny how a few days of slings and arrows clears out the cobwebs. We will award Feste this year as usual after all.

That's it. I'm calling a bottom.
No. of Recommendations: 2
That's it. I'm calling a bottom.

Remember me when you cash in those double and triple baggers.
Naturally you'll want to delete WendyBG's poll in order to avoid confusion and to avoid corrupting the integrity of the process.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=27494909
No. of Recommendations: 3
"Thanks, and once again, apologies."

Well done Richard! Much appreciated :-)

Regards, Ken [ Now about that BLUE star ;-) ]
No. of Recommendations: 9
I think you should make canceling it part of the process each year, as the resultant brouhaha was far more interesting that the actual contest.

H
No. of Recommendations: 0
I think you should make canceling it part of the process each year, as the resultant brouhaha was far more interesting that the actual contest.

maybe that was the plan and people fell for it?
Good, I'm glad.

Now please be sure to publicize it, because over 500 people have already voted at the METAR Feste election, as well as the previous cancelled Fool election.

Wendy
Thanks for rethinking this, Richard, if indeed it was your decision to cancel in the first place.

I'd also like to seek your input. What would you change, if anything?

Make it bigger, better. My thinking is that when times are tough you protect your assets more than ever. TMF has done some great things and have grown phenomenally and I would never wish to take away from that. I also suspect that one of the main reasons that it has grown so much, is because of the community of posters that make up the glue holding all TMF projects together. Kudos to the people with the foresight to foster this community. But now that times are a little rough for everyone, maybe TMF included, is certainly not the time to melt the glue.

Don't think of slings and arrows, but whispers (ok, screams) for rational and well-thought-out decision-making and yes, a little recognition for great posters and glue chemists here. Thanks for your decision, Richard.

(Of course now the bar has been raised and this year's Feste winner will have to be awarded a week's cruise and vacation on some exotic aisle, but look at it this way. You can write off the expense under Glue Chemistry R&D. It's another win/win!)

Dan
Richard, I suggest that you put this in the Announcements, or few will notice it.

Wendy
Okay, let's open nominations again for one more week, and I'll put up an announcement. Probably won't be able to announce the winner by April 1, but that's not the important thing now.

Richard
What would you change, if anything?

Could you introduce the award that rhymes with Feste and starts with "T"?
Going forward, I still want to morph Feste into something more relevant to newer Fools, while maintaining interest for those who have been here for years. I have a few ideas I want to kick around internally first, but I'd also like to seek your input. What would you change, if anything?

An award for whoever lost the least over the last year ? Whined the least about politics and the market ?

rad
Wait, I'm confused. I already voted in the Feste award poll on that board link I got from Best of....I assume you guys were just going to rolll the results together? Do I now need to vote again?
Wait, I'm confused. I already voted in the Feste award poll on that board link I got from Best of....I assume you guys were just going to rolll the results together? Do I now need to vote again?

There will be an offsite poll for official voting later, wasmick. Nominations are reopened for a week, sorry about the confusion.

Richard
Make it bigger, better.

Can you be more specific Dan?

Thanks,
Richard

Absolute-Populist integrity in the nomination process (and anyone who cares knows to what I refer.)

Cheers,
Dave

All seven of my doppels already voted.

-synchronicity
All seven of my doppels already voted.

Who did I end up voting for?
No. of Recommendations: 1

Leave Feste as is.

Create a new award. Allow multiple receiptients per year.

The voting should be strictly internal to those with TMF prefixes and current awardees.

Don't assume that because you got it last year you get it this year.

In keeping with the Shakespeare it could be named after another of his characters. I don't know enough Shakespeare to suggest one.

Here is a list of his fools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool#Shakespearian_jesters

In fact I think you should have three versions of this new award.
One for strictly financail exelence.
One for strictly non-financial non-political exelence.
One for strictly political exelence.

For example someone who contributes greatly to the Help with this stupid computer could get an award that is different from the financial excelence award.

The advantage of having multiple reciepents each year is that people could be nominated after their first year.

That's my idea.

Mark
Thanks Twitty....

Being the odds on favorite and frontrunner that I am, I've told my legions of supporters to wait till the end to nominate me.

Jedi
No. of Recommendations: 8
In fact I think you should have three versions of this new award.

One for most misspellings.

Leave Feste as is.

!!Create a new award!! Something for the second half of the year.

I agree with the above portion of hrse's reply.

Tye
"Leave Feste as is."

Agree...

"In fact I think you should have three versions of this new award.

For example someone who contributes greatly to the Help with this stupid computer could get an award that is different from the financial excelence award.

The advantage of having multiple reciepents each year is that people could be nominated after their first year.
"

Multiple categories... Why not!

Left out the the amuse category... Clown Icon for that one...

A page from the sports field; Some sort of Rookie award, Only eligible during first year...

Regards, Ken
There will be an offsite poll for official voting later, wasmick. Nominations are reopened for a week, sorry about the confusion.

I don't understand; is it fair to the previous nominees re-open the nominations?

I thought the nomination process etc, was completed and all that needed to be done now was tabulate the votes and select the winner? What changed?

Now I'm even more confused than before.
Winner determined by cage match.
Like a Chairman's Award. No public nominations, just an internal and prior-winner selection and voting process based on key, positive, contribution criteria. Expand the criteria just beyond discussion boards to CAPS, articles, external research, etc.

FC
Can you be more specific Dan?

Nothing on a grand scale, Richard. Simple things--like more visibility, a few more "reminders" for board participants and subscribers, and seriously some kind of prize with a little value wouldn't hurt the budget too much, would it?

My suggestion was actually more tuned to the situation: Feste! Oops, no Feste! Oops2, Feste!

No big deal; I'm just glad you decided to continue, and now I don't want to see the award get "lost" or "lessened in value" due to any possible confusion.

Thanks, Richard,

Dan
No. of Recommendations: 5
"One for strictly political exelence."

No such critter has ever appeared to exist anywhere other than in myths and dreams ... In fact, TMF might be a far better place were recs and contests such as Feste did not extend to political boards or topics ...

Take care,
IcyWolf

No. Than euw wood 'ave peepole missseling on porpose two winn the awarrd.

No. Than euw wood 'ave peepole missseling on porpose two winn the awarrd.

U cane due dat?
I ate Feste.

Abe

I like FlyingCircus' ideas, with "positive contributions" being the key phrase--it would be nice if the "popularity contest" aspect of the award were lessened. I also think that just being nominated for an award is not a good enough reason to award the nominee an icon.

Good luck!

Richard

Possibly there could be subordinate awards each rewarding a facet contributing to whomever added to the Fool Community but why? The Feste Award is give to a person recognized by his/her peers as the person they believe has added to the community be it in whatever manner.

Yes, separate awards could be given for specific talents in fields such as taxation advice, money saving tips, improving life style, et al but this dilutes. Looking at the past winners what has been recognized is aptness to subject and in each award the subject alters and varies. is aptness to subject and in each award the subject alters and varies. Et each shares a common denominator: they struck a chord resonating with where TMF was at the time and how that character caused betterment on the TMF community.

The meme of TMF is to educate, amuse, and enrich. Some years it is one poster who educates, another year one who amuses, and another one who enriches. Yet the decision is made by his/her peers to that shifting singularity.

My view is keep a single award and that it is something coveted because it is a mark of a person above all others who has added to the community be that in whatever way the community itself approves.

Is The Feste Award a popularity reward? In many ways, yes. It’s a recognition to a person who has attracted attention and that comes from meeting the zeitgeist of TMF at that particular time. That recognition comes to a poster who – in that year – attracted approval and recognition.

Next year it may be because of something completely different – the only constant is peer approval.

MichaelR
The meme of TMF is to educate, amuse, and enrich. Some years it is one poster who educates, another year one who amuses, and another one who enriches.

These days we just give it to whoever wants it the most.
Thanks Michael, and to everyone who contributed suggestions!

Richard