Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings Experts --

Last year that last year I was diagnosed as having the early stages COPD.

This spring my pulmonologist recommended that I participate in a "re-hab" program operated under the auspices of a local hospital. The program is covered by Medicare for a total of 30 sessions (10 weeks). At the end of the 30 sessions I will be eligible to join a "maintenance" program at a cost of $80/month and am planning on doing so. The maintenance program will not be covered by any of my insurance programs.

Is it possible to make the cost of the maintenance program a tax deductible medical expense?? What, if anything, would be required from my doctor to allow the program to qualify as a deductible medical expense.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Is it possible to make the cost of the maintenance program a tax deductible medical expense??

Yes.

What, if anything, would be required from my doctor to allow the program to qualify as a deductible medical expense.

Nothing from your doctor. A paid bill from the provider.

I guess I should add that there must be something medically directed at the treatment of your condition about this program as opposed to general wellness. IOW, my doctor is a broken record about exercise, but a gym membership wouldn't be deductible even if he wrote the instruction on a prescription pad.

See IRS Pub 502, and good luck with your treatment.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
I guess I should add that there must be something medically directed at the treatment of your condition about this program as opposed to general wellness. IOW, my doctor is a broken record about exercise, but a gym membership wouldn't be deductible even if he wrote the instruction on a prescription pad.

What if the doctor wrote (I am making this up): "12 leg presses of 100# each, 12 Ab Crunches of 80# each, 12 arm curls of 40# each, 12 Arm extensions ... 25 minutes on treadmill with 5% slope at 4 m.p.h., 25 minutes on exercise bike ...; all 3 times a week, for cardio rehab"? I.e., a very specific exercise program for a specific medical condition.

I suppose the paid bill from the provider would still be required.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I suppose the paid bill from the provider would still be required.

Yes, because being prescribed something doesn't prove you actually did it or, more to the point for a tax deduction, paid for it.
No. of Recommendations: 4
I'm not in any way saying that I'm right (as I fairly often get corrected) but here's my take on exercise.

If you do it under the supervision of a Physical Therapist, it's deductible. If you do it at a regular gym, it's not.

It doesn't matter what the Dr. writes on his/her prescription pad.

--Peter
Thanks for the feedback!!

Norm